Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Wednesday, August 5th

Hello everyone!
The end of last week, I was able to translate for various meetings, primarily at the Christian school (with Evelyn, the director at the school and the evangelists). On Thursday, I brought some food and clothes down to Rosa and paid her for having washed my clothes.

On Friday, Thad and I were invited to Betuel’s house, one of the BECA students in his last year of high school. We wondered what he wanted to talk to us about since he seemed very nervous. He and his mother thanked me up and down for the help that the program has afforded them. Then, he very bashfully mentioned that he has some expenses that he must pay in order to graduate. With no family income, they were unsure as to how they would cover these expenses. The amount was 850 lempiras (about $45) which wasn’t much to us, but was an overwhelming amount for a family that already has a difficult time paying the rent. Because we had heard so many positive things about Betuel, we immediately wanted to help. Thad agreed to give him the money if he would come up to the school and help with a work project. Betuel also very strongly wants to continue his education in college. He wants to be a math teacher. Cooincientally, the Christian school is always in need of a math teacher. After completing a college degree, Betuel would be certified to teach math at a primary, secondary and even college level.
Betuel is a very respectful young man. He is a leader in the church who has earned the respect of the older men. He was appointed as the youth group president. He helps to take care of his younger brothers and sisters. His mother says that he is very obedient and studious.
There are not many people like Betuel. When I asked if my positive impression of him was correct, a friend told me that he indeed is a special individual.
I would love for him to have the opportunity to go to college. He has gathered every bit of information I have asked of him. He arrives early to meetings. He is quality.
It would cost $260 per month for him to attend school. If you would like to be a part of this opportunity, please contact me via email or Facebook. I am confident he will take full advantage if given the chance.

For those of you who do not know, Vanessa has a 6 month old little girl. Her name is Rosa. Vanessa has had difficulty taking care of the baby in the impoverished conditions in which she and Maria live. Rosa was sick and in the hospital for several days while I was in Trujillo. She is a beautiful little girl that I will post pictures of shortly. The aid that is being sent for her (mom) is being used to directly help the baby instead of being given cash.

We left Trujillo on Monday and are now on the vacation portion of the trip in Roatan. It’s always strange for me to be in a tourist area after having spent time with my friends in Trujillo, especially knowing that most of them would be unable financially to make the trip. It makes me feel sick to think of the things I am able to enjoy that so many others are not. The injustice on earth just makes heaven all that much more appealing.

May you experience glimpses of heaven this week.

In Him,

Nadine

No comments: