Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Update April 4, 2007

Culture shock is still a challenge, but the internet is helping to bridge the gap. I recently bought a (very inexpensive) webcam, so I can see the faces of my friends in Honduras. Technology never ceases to amaze me.

Also, two exciting things happened yesterday to help ease my unsettledness. I have been subbing in the morning for a kindergarten class and for a high school special ed math class in the afternoon. When I walked into the high school, a couple teachers asked me if I am going to apply for the middle school choir position. Surprised by the opening, I made some calls and they confirmed that the current teacher is moving to a different position. Today, I was asked to resume the position the Monday we return from spring break (April 16). Good news!

Near Craig and Stephanie, there has been an older home for sale for the past year. I have been wanting to see the inside for some time and, yesterday, I was finally able to. The owners are making a bunch of improvements, are willing to work with the new owners with regards to paint colors, and they are not asking any more for the house than they were last year. Stephanie and I were floored by their very reasonable asking price and I am very interested in the house. It will be finished in a couple of weeks and they will call me for a formal showing. If the Lords wills it, I would love to own that house. Oh the possiblities...my first thought is to rent to those interested in urban ministry...

I am heading up north tomorrow to spend 10 days with my family. The extended time will be nice as I am usually only able to go for short weekend trips.

I would like to encourage you to check out Waleska's thank you letter if you haven't already.

*Waleska is in her first year of high school, the US equivalent of 7th grade. She has maintained an 84% GPA. She has been teaching the children’s Bible class for a few years and is an exceptional young lady.

If you are interested in helping with the children’s Bible class (materials, etc.), please let me know. When I asked Waleska if she could have anything for her class what would it be, she humbly said, “Chalk, stickers, children’s books, pens, pencils,” and so on. She is very humble and very practical.

I also have recently been requested to send song books and Bibles, both for the existing church and for people they are evangelizing. You may be hearing more about this as the date of my return trip approaches.

God bless you all!

Nadine

No comments: